Microsoft Exchange and Blackberry Server Specialists

SEMblog

Microsoft Exchange Server and
Blackberry Enterprise Server news, views and fixes.

Twitter

As I have been been granted the trademark "Sembee", I have also changed my twitter handle to @Sembee . http://semb.ee/twitter

Nothing much on the twitter feed at the moment though. 

Stopping Auto Deletion in Mailbox Converted From a Resource

Recently at a client we configured some mailboxes as Resources. 
It was then decided that they would be better off as shared mailboxes, as they could be used for other tasks. Therefore the mailbox was converted to shared:

 

set-mailbox mailboxname -type:shared

 

However any emails sent to the new Shared mailbox were continuing to go in to the Deleted Items folder. This is the standard behaviour for a resource mailbox, as it is only expecting to get calendar items. 

The key is to disable the Calendar processing. You can see the current setting thus:

 

get-calendarprocessing mailboxname | select identity, AutomateProcessing

 

To disable it completely, you need to change the value of AutomateProcessing to none

 

set-calendarprocessing mailboxname -AutomateProcessing None

 

In this case, the folder still needed to accept and process calendar entries, so we changed it to AutoUpdate.

 

set-calendarprocessing mailboxname -AutomateProcessing AutoUpdate

 

The full parameters are discussed in the Technet article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335046(v=exchg.141).aspx

 

Kudos to Holly at the client for finding the value which I had completely forgotten about!

Cross Site DAG Issue When Using A Load Balancer

Just deployed a new Kemp Load Balancer with a client which promptly broke their cross site DAG.

Usual horrible error:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup -Status

WARNING: Unable to get Primary Active Manager information due to an Active Manager call failure. Error: An Active

Manager operation failed. Error The Microsoft Exchange Replication service may not be running on server XXX-3. Specific

 RPC error message: Error 0x6ba (The RPC server is unavailable) from cli_AmGetDeferredRecoveryEntries.

 

(server xxx-3 is the remote server).

Discovered that the problem was due to an option enabled on the Kemp called Enable Server NAT (SNAT). You can find this under System Configuration, Miscellanious Options, Network Options. Disabling that corrected the issue almost immediately. Seems that the NAT broke the DAG. 

Free BES 10 CALs when you Activate a Blackberry 10 Device

Looks like Blackberry are running an offer for free BES 10 CALs.

Activate a Blackberry 10 device and get two free CALs.

 

http://uk.blackberry.com/business/blackberry-10/blackberry-10-ready/license-offer.html

 

Activate a Blackberry 10 device between July 1st and August 31st 2013 and for each device you will get TWO free CALs. These CALS are the EMM Corporate type so will work for Blackberry 10 devices and Android/iPhone. At current prices they are worth almost £70 each.

 

The BES 10 software is free (trial download on the link above).

 

The window to claim the free CALs is quite small, so Blackberry have provided a link to be told when the registration process is open. 

A New Take on the Exchange Management Shell Startup - Keberos Error

I was recently asked to look at an Exchange server giving the common PowerShell connection failure due to Kerberos authentication. 

The following error occurred while attempting to connect to the specified Exchange server 'rpi-exchange.rp.local':

"The attempt to connect to http://rpi-exchange.rp.local/PowerShell using "Kerberos" authentication failed: Connecting to the remote server failed with the following error message: The connection to the specified remote host was refused. Verify that the WS-Management service is running on the remote host and configured to listen for requests on the correct port and HTTP URL. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic. "

The usual reasons for this error are well documented and I am not covering them here. After spending an hour going through the usual suspects, I started to look for anything else, as this was giving a Connection Refused error, which wasn't hugely documented past the Remote PowerShell permission. 

I then had a brainwave. I was working on a system in a school. Schools have pretty restricted Internet access in most cases. This usually means a proxy. 

Netsh winhttp show proxy 

That command immediately showed there was a proxy, running

Netsh winhttp reset proxy

Cleared the proxy settings and allowed the Exchange Management Console to start correctly. 

The client was then advised to check their proxy configuration settings, specifically the exceptions list so that the correct ones were in place, as I feared that next time Group Policy applied the proxy settings, the change would be reset.